Monday, February 18, 2008

The runaway iPod

An ex-boyfriend once told me: "You must have the bladder of an infant!"

Why is it that I'm such a target for publicly humiliating situations?

I always wear my iPod around campus. It keeps me occupied while I'm sipping coffee and chain-smoking, impatiently waiting for my next class to start. Well, I really had to pee during my philosophy class, but there were only fifteen minutes left and I forced myself to hold it until class ended. As soon as it was over, I threw my headphones on, grabbed my purse and backpack, and sprinted for the door. Just as I thought I'd successfully made it out of the classroom, my headphone cord caught itself around the doorknob, yanking me backwards so fast I thought I was going to fall. There was no running this time. I had no choice but to stand there for about thirty seconds, trying to unravel the cord from the knob. Meanwhile, my classmates were giggling and pushing past me. I finally untangled the cord and sped out the door, forgetting that I hadn't yet put my iPod back in my pocket. It swayed south like a pendulum, disconnected from the cord, hit the floor, and slid about five feet ahead of me. So I scurried over to it, bent over to pick it up, and felt my pants sliding loosley past my hips. I'd forgotten that I discreetly unbuttoned my jeans during class to take the weight off of my bladder. I quickly grabbed my iPod off the floor, held my pants up, and ran. To the bathroom. Not just to pee, but to hide.

Tonight I plan on making much knitting progress. Pictures will shortly follow!

No comments: