Monday, January 28, 2008

Dominick


An ex-boyfriend once told me: "Your dog is just that -- a dog. You should try giving humans that much love and attention every once in a while."

Last night, I took a 30-second break from knitting to hop downstairs and grab a bottle of water. When I returned to my room, I saw my darling puppy lying on my bed, cradling what used to be my glasses between his paws. His head was cocked to the side as he gnawed away at the frames. As soon as he saw me, he quickly jumped off the bed, sat in front of me, and met my eyes with an apologetic, Puss in Boots gaze. That little bastard. I yelled, but he already knew he'd done wrong. There goes $350, down the drain. That is the SECOND pair he has snacked on since the fateful day I adopted his ass.

But guess what? I love him more than anything else on this planet. Adopting him has significantly changed my life, and you couldn't pay me enough money to take this experience away. Owning a dog requires time and sacrifice that most would find unappealing at this age. Me? I don't mind a bit. No, I can't get wasted and crash on a friend's couch. I have to get home to let the dog out. Sure, I'd love to spend my work tips on a big ol' basket of yarn, but I have to buy dog food. Sorry, I can't spend the weekend up in Georgia. Gotta take care of my pup! He's the best thing that has ever happened to me in this lonely, cruel world.

No comments: